3. (1) Every resident shall be entitled to obtain an Aadhaar number by submitting his
demographic information and biometric information by undergoing the process of enrollment:
Provided that the Central Government may, from time to time, notify such other category
of individuals who may be entitled to obtain an Aadhaar number.
(2) The enrolling agency shall, at the time of enrolment, inform the individual undergoing enrolment of the following details in such manner as may be specified by regulations, namely:--
(a) the manner in which the information shall be used;
(b) the nature of recipients with whom the information is intended to be shared during authentication; and
(c) the existence of a right to access information, the procedure for making requests for such access, and details of the person or department in-charge to whom such requests can be made.
(3) On receipt of the demographic information and biometric information under sub-section (1), the Authority shall, after verifying the information, in such manner as may be specified by regulations, issue an Aadhaar number to such individual.
4. (1) An Aadhaar number, issued to an individual shall not be re-assigned to any other individual.
(2) An Aadhaar number shall be a random number and bear no relation to the attributes or identity of the Aadhaar number holder.
(3) An Aadhaar number, in physical or electronic form subject to authentication and other conditions, as may be specified by regulations, may be accepted as proof of identity of the Aadhaar number holder for any purpose.
Explanation.— For the purposes of this sub-section, the expression “electronic form” shall have the same meaning as assigned to it in clause (r) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Information Technology Act, 2000.
5. The Authority shall take special measures to issue Aadhaar number to women, children, senior citizens, persons with disability, unskilled and unorganised workers, nomadic tribes or to such other persons who do not have any permanent dwelling house and such other categories of individuals as may be specified by regulations.
6. The Authority may require Aadhaar number holders to update their demographic information and biometric information, from time to time, in such manner as may be specified by regulations, so as to ensure continued accuracy of their information in the Central Identities Data Repository
Continue Reading CHAPTER III AUTHENTICATION